Intel and NTT Docomo have joined the ranks of Sony, Amazon, LG, ZTE, Nvidia, and Ericsson to cancel their respective events at the Mobile World Congress 2020 due to the risk of coronavirus. The virus has claimed 1,000 deaths so far.
MWC is considered to be the biggest mobile technology trade show that takes place every year where manufacturers show off their new products.
An Intel spokesperson said in a statement, “The safety and wellbeing of all our employees and partners is our top priority, and we have withdrawn from this year’s Mobile World Congress out of an abundance of caution.”
China has been the epicenter of the pandemic and the threat also looms on the world of technology. MWC 2020 was supposed to witness an even larger Chinese presence than ever before, as all of the country’s main smartphone brands were planning a significant presence.
Sony said in a statement posted to its website Monday, “Sony has been closely monitoring the evolving situation following the novel coronavirus outbreak, which was declared a global emergency by the World Health Organization on January 30th, 2020. As we place the utmost importance on the safety and wellbeing of our customers, partners, media, and employees, we have taken the difficult decision to withdraw from exhibiting and participating at MWC 2020 in Barcelona, Spain.”
Similarly, Amazon also gave their statement regarding their decision of pulling out of the event. “Due to the outbreak and continued concerns about novel coronavirus, Amazon will withdraw from exhibiting and participating in Mobile World Congress 2020, scheduled for Feb. 24-27 in Barcelona, Spain.”
- OnePlus phones now getting Google’s Ambient Mode
- Poco X2 to go on sale at 12 Noon via Flipkart in India