Search engine optimization (SEO) is here to stay – there’s no doubt about that as well as the fact that SEO must be a part of every business’s digital marketing strategy. With millions of businesses online via their websites and social media profiles, the need for an SEO professional has skyrocketed. Businesses online need to stand out and this is where the need for a skilled SEO professional has become so important. Professional SEO practices are vital for every online that they just can’t be without.
Keeping this in mind, as an SEO professional there are certain skills that you will need to have to advance in your career. SEO practices and techniques are constantly evolving as the need for greater visibility online grows. The race for beating the competition to the search engine results pages is on and is set to intensify even more.
What skills will you need to have for a career as an SEO professional?
The world of digital marketing and SEO is a complex and competitive environment that requires skill sets from a number of backgrounds, such as excellent interpersonal skills, solid writing skills, good advertising knowledge, and even some basic design skills.
There’s no doubt that an SEO professional has to be an ‘all-rounder’ in all things digital. It’s not only vital to have a solid understanding of how search engines but many other qualities come into play as well.
An SEO professional will need the following skills:
- Be creative with content – You’ll need to stand out from the crowd with your digital marketing, so that means you must be creative, from concept to execution. The importance of creating high-quality content is vital. Content has to be informative as well as entertaining and can never be just a copy and paste affair.
- Project management – A lot of scheduling and planning ahead is involved in SEO. Great project management skills are definitely needed to execute a digital marketing strategy.
- Keywords understanding – Optimal selection of keywords is a must for digital marketing campaigns and affects all aspects of digital marketing. Remember, keywords with high search rates and low competition are best.
- Search engine marketing – Search engine marketing is known as SEM which covers digital marketing such as social media ads, Google AdWords and pay-per-click and all of these aspects are a huge part of the daily life of an SEO professional.
- Off-page optimization – Off-page optimization refers to tasks such as backlink building for example. This is an external activity which is done off your website.
- Excellent writing skills – An SEO professional must be an expert communicator, not only via imagery or content creation but also when it comes to writing skills. The ability to successfully get your brand’s message across is vital to your digital marketing campaign.
- Technical and programming – There is often a need for an SEO professional to have at least a basic HTML coding understanding.
- Research – Being able to carry out adequate research is a great bonus for an SEO professional as this skill is needed in all parts of digital marketing.
- Understanding data – Data collection is important but so too is the understanding of that data. Effective data analytics is a huge part of being an SEO professional.
- Website traffic analysis – Without proper analytical skills it’s almost impossible for an SEO professional to accurately track and monitor their digital marketing campaigns.
What type of content is involved in SEO marketing?
While content varies from industry to industry when it comes to SEO marketing the following is the most popular form of content.
- Social media content
Remember to constantly stay updated on all things SEO. Once you’ve completed a digital marketing course and you’re on your way to becoming an SEO professional, it’s so important to stay up to date with new SEO developments, tips, and techniques.
We all know that the specialized world of an SEO Professional is dynamic and constantly evolving, therefore, keeping up to date and even completing digital marketing ‘refresher’ courses will give you a great advantage in your career.